Twohawk's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visions, Predictions, Psychic Impressions, Dreams, Channelings, Astrology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Remember the Alamo
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:16 pm by masterindisguise

» Joplin and Moore
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:45 am by masterindisguise

» Brenda's Blog - physical healing
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:21 am by masterindisguise

» First Signs of Physical Acscension Are Here
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:55 am by masterindisguise

» Growing Our Miraculous Manifestations
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:41 am by masterindisguise

» Power Path May 2013
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:49 pm by masterindisguise

» Eclipses of 2013 help access spaces between dimensions
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm by masterindisguise

» Full moon vision gold mining
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am by masterindisguise

» Scorpio full moon notes 4/25/13
Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am by masterindisguise

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 273 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 am

Mystery hum puzzles geologists

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female
Number of posts : 1440
Registration date : 2007-08-05

Mystery hum puzzles geologists Empty
PostSubject: Mystery hum puzzles geologists   Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 12:01 pm

More Signs - see also my post under Galactic systems.

Geologists have detected a new continuous seismic signal in the Earth, but its cause is anybody's guess

Listen closely, and you'll hear the Earth humming - in not just one note, but two. The source of this second signal is a mystery.

For around a decade we've known about Earth's quiet "vertical" hum, probably caused by the steady thumping of deep waves on the ocean floor. Now a team in Germany has discovered a second "horizontal" note, too, and nobody knows what's causing this new signal.

Dieter Kurrle and Rudolf Widmer-Schnidrig of the University of Stuttgart in Germany studied 11 years of data from seismometers at four isolated locations in Germany, Japan and China. The seismometers were designed to detect minute horizontal motion in parallel to the Earth's surface. This can be tricky since atmospheric pressure can obscure the results by pressing on the ground nearby, generating a tilt on the seismometers that might be mistaken for a seismic signal.

They found evidence of a "horizontal" signal at all four stations. The signal migrates by around 1 micrometre one way or the other every three minutes or so, and its horizontal orientation distinguishes it from Earth's "vertical" oscillation. (Geophysical Research Letters)

Though certain events seem to amplify this constant signal - such as earthquakes, volcanoes and large storms - the source is a mystery. "Something entirely new to us is causing this hum," says Spahr Webb of the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory in New York, who studied the original hum.

"Something entirely new to us is causing this hum. Its frequency suggests something is 'twisting' the surface of the crust."

The frequency of the new signal suggests something is "twisting" the surface of the crust in some way, says Widmer-Schnidrig. When released, the crust swings back and forth because of its elasticity.

Widmer-Schnidrig's best guess to explain the oscillation is that spiral winds created by atmospheric depressions are inducing some kind of shear force on the Earth's crust, but he admits this theory is a shot in the dark.

Others have been looking to the heavens for a reason. At the American Geophysical Union annual meeting last December, David Thomson of Queens University in Canada and Frank Vernon of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, California, told researchers that the new hum is synchronised with variations in the Sun's magnetic field.

Widmer-Schnidrig is sceptical about this claim. "What physics led to this correlation? No theory that has been put forward so far has predicted or can explain this observation."

[link to www.sott.net]
Back to top Go down
Wild Dove
Wild Dove

Male
Number of posts : 1312
Humor : monkey business
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Mystery hum puzzles geologists   Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 12:13 pm

HELP,HELP!!!!! can't find link.....

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.sott.net]/” because it can’t find the server “www.sott.net]”.
Back to top Go down
Wild Dove
Wild Dove

Male
Number of posts : 1312
Humor : monkey business
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Mystery hum puzzles geologists   Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 12:15 pm

Ooops, it was the ] that blocked it...
Back to top Go down
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mystery hum puzzles geologists   Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Osiris

Osiris

Male
Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Mystery hum puzzles geologists   Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 7:47 pm

Spring, Wait, Wait,

Let me turn down the volume of my sterio in the hot tub, I had it cranked up playing ZZ Top. Can you here me now, is the noise still there? Lol

I am sorry, I am in just one of these wonderful moods today and couldn't resist.
Back to top Go down
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mystery hum puzzles geologists   Mystery hum puzzles geologists EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Osiris don't turn down that music!!! I love ZZ Top. Good ol Boys! Nice cars too!

We can live with that noise!

Band
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery hum puzzles geologists   Mystery hum puzzles geologists Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1