Twohawk's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visions, Predictions, Psychic Impressions, Dreams, Channelings, Astrology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Remember the Alamo
Wonderful Idea EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:16 pm by masterindisguise

» Joplin and Moore
Wonderful Idea EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:45 am by masterindisguise

» Brenda's Blog - physical healing
Wonderful Idea EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:21 am by masterindisguise

» First Signs of Physical Acscension Are Here
Wonderful Idea EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:55 am by masterindisguise

» Growing Our Miraculous Manifestations
Wonderful Idea EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:41 am by masterindisguise

» Power Path May 2013
Wonderful Idea EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:49 pm by masterindisguise

» Eclipses of 2013 help access spaces between dimensions
Wonderful Idea EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm by masterindisguise

» Full moon vision gold mining
Wonderful Idea EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am by masterindisguise

» Scorpio full moon notes 4/25/13
Wonderful Idea EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am by masterindisguise

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 273 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 am

Wonderful Idea

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
masterindisguise
masterindisguise

Female
Number of posts : 1142
Humor : twisted
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Wonderful Idea Empty
PostSubject: Wonderful Idea   Wonderful Idea EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 am

THE CHALLENGE
Yesterday, I opened my clinic doors and gave away my services for 3 hours. Why one might ask?

There is no doubt; we are experiencing the worst economic collapse since 1929. Times are bad, in case you haven’t been listening to the news. While driving to work, over the course of a few weeks, and thinking about President Obama’s call for us to give to our community the idea of a free clinic was born. As soon as I got to the office I bounced the idea off a few good friends and clients to get some feedback. I got thumbs up from everyone…and within minutes the first Pets in Need Clinic (PINC) started.

Next step was to call my vendors for donations. I needed vaccines, syringes, dewormers and was hoping for leukemia and HWT tests kits. Out of 13 asked 12 loved the idea and pitched in.

The next action I took was to call people I knew who worked for social action group: Visiting Nurse Service, Veteran’s Outreach, etc. With the assistance of social workers we developed a registration form. My only requirement for attending this clinic was that people show immediate need: for example recent unemployment, foreclosure, disability etc. PINC is not serving chronic welfare recipients or people looking for free vaccines.

We made the forms available to download from our website. I also listed Pets in Need as cause/organization on Facebook . Many people asked to make donations. Since we are not a 501C (non profit) facebook made it easy to name a beneficiary. I chose the Greater Birmingham Animal Shelter where a dear friend is the Executive Director.

With the help of a client and family member who are PR/media people a press release was issued to radio, TV and newspaper. I then was able to reach out to more people via the radio and TV…thanks to Beth Adams at WHAM radio, Matt Malloy at WROC TV, WHAM 13 TV and the local Rush Henrietta Post. I had a client volunteer to enhance our current logo with ” Pets in Need” and a banner listing corporate and local sponsors. We were off and running

As the Pets in Need Clinic gained popularity, we knew we would need volunteers. So, another listening went up on facebook, USAservices.org and the United Way developed a web link for volunteers in their system. I also approached some rescue groups that I work with for help. We were inundated with volunteers and had to eventually turn people away.

Finally, I looked for local sponsors to help defray the cost of tee shirts. Logos for corporate sponsors were on the back and out logo was on the front.

PINC held it’s first clinic Feb 21 and the response was terrific. All total we had 13 clients, 35 pets and 30 plus volunteers. All but one person had pre-registered. We had 60 plus people volunteer to help. Some who received services will be volunteering at the next clinic

We administered DA2PP, FVRCP, and Rabies vaccines. We performed HWT, leukemia/ FIV tests, and blood profiles on animals with the suspected disease. We dispensed single doses of heartworm prevention and dewormers.

What is PINC’s future plans? Our next clinic is already scheduled for April 25. Currently on our next agenda will be house calls to elderly people (already receiving meals on wheels and pet meals through a pilot program from VNS), developing a pet food bank and perhaps a low cost spay neuter program. I cannot emphasize enough that contact with the client’s social worker/caseworker is essential in order to establish immediate need.

We also are looking for people in the future to either donate a nominal fee for their pets vaccines, or if capable volunteer at another PINC clinic. (The Pay it Forward concept).

All of us that were involved in the clinic yesterday felt positive about what we accomplished and hope our efforts will create a ripple effect nationwide. Not only in the veterinary profession but other professions as well. This is a win- win situation…. no one loses…and everyone gains something.

If you need any help developing your own PINC. Don’t hesitate to contact me through email or phone.

Now I challenge not only my veterinary colleagues but also other professional with services to provide to step forward and carry on with this grassroots project. Won’t you “join in our crusade” and help those who desperately need our services? The bottom line is that with minimal expense and some effort we can bring make a difference and help those who desperately need our services.

Respectfully,

Michelle T. Brownstein DVM

www.henriettahosp.com
585-334-3800
Back to top Go down
Osiris

Osiris

Male
Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Wonderful Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Idea   Wonderful Idea EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 4:11 pm

That is so great that you have done this in such hard economic times. I do not have a business to do something like this, but do offer my help whenever I can free of charge to those that need help with anything. Years ago My son and I use to get computers from a company and distribute them to those that could not afford a computer free of charge, I got my son involved so he could experiance the joy of giving first hand. That experiance had rubbed off and now five years later my son always volunteers his time to help people out of the kindness of his big heart. This is a lesson that I wish more parrents would teach to their children, the lesson of giving. I am a lover of animals and know that your services will help so many people and their pets. I have three dogs, two cats, three Roosters and fourty two Hens. My hens are my girls and each one has a personality of it's own. My wife and Duaghter have named them all.
Back to top Go down
masterindisguise
masterindisguise

Female

Wonderful Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Idea   Wonderful Idea EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Osiris,

Thats not me, I copied the article from Dogster. I thought it was a wonderful idea and wanted to share it. I do have a no kill animal shelter in my home. I currently have 18 dogs and 2 cats. 6 of the dogs are puppies, they'll be 6 weeks old Monday. Know anybody who would like one?
Back to top Go down
Osiris

Osiris

Male
Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Wonderful Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Idea   Wonderful Idea EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 1:38 pm

I am at the max at the moment with the cute little cuddlies. In fact I am leaving for my job in Bermuda this coming Friday, so the wife and kids will be looking after all the critters in my absense.
Back to top Go down
masterindisguise
masterindisguise

Female

Wonderful Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Idea   Wonderful Idea EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Good luck in Bermuda. I was wondering if your family would be going with you or staying. Have fun and enjoy the weather!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wonderful Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Idea   Wonderful Idea Empty

Back to top Go down

Wonderful Idea
Page 1 of 1