Twohawk's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visions, Predictions, Psychic Impressions, Dreams, Channelings, Astrology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Remember the Alamo
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:16 pm by masterindisguise

» Joplin and Moore
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:45 am by masterindisguise

» Brenda's Blog - physical healing
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:21 am by masterindisguise

» First Signs of Physical Acscension Are Here
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:55 am by masterindisguise

» Growing Our Miraculous Manifestations
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:41 am by masterindisguise

» Power Path May 2013
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:49 pm by masterindisguise

» Eclipses of 2013 help access spaces between dimensions
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm by masterindisguise

» Full moon vision gold mining
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am by masterindisguise

» Scorpio full moon notes 4/25/13
Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am by masterindisguise

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 273 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 am

Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female
Number of posts : 1440
Registration date : 2007-08-05

Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith Empty
PostSubject: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyTue Aug 28, 2007 1:56 pm

This article is from Time. I have only copied portions of it because it is six pages long. The link is at the bottom to read all. The information here is disturbing and enlightening at the same time. Although not Catholic I always revered Mother Teresa as a true angel on earth. I am distressed to read of her conflict with God. However I remember looking at photos and television footage of her and thinking that her eyes seemed so empty. I always assumed they would be soft and inviting, but I did not find them that way at all. Another lesson proving all is not always what it appears to be. In fact, this new book on Mother Teresa indicates that almost her entire life she questioned the very existence of God and Jesus. Years ago I would question why I could not be more like Mother Teresa in her faith, until I realized that everything was not one color. Now I see where she felt the same questions that have haunted me. Only her questioning seems to have been more intense and profound than even mine.

Thursday, Aug. 23, 2007 By DAVID VAN BIEMA

Bettmann / CorbisArticle

Jesus has a very special love for you. As for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great that I look and do not see, listen and do not hear.
— Mother Teresa to the Rev. Michael Van Der Peet, September 1979

On Dec. 11, 1979, Mother Teresa, the "Saint of the Gutters," went to Oslo. Dressed in her signature blue-bordered sari and shod in sandals despite below-zero temperatures, the former Agnes Bojaxhiu received that ultimate worldly accolade, the Nobel Peace Prize. In her acceptance lecture, Teresa, whose Missionaries of Charity had grown from a one-woman folly in Calcutta in 1948 into a global beacon of self-abnegating care, delivered the kind of message the world had come to expect from her. "It is not enough for us to say, 'I love God, but I do not love my neighbor,'" she said, since in dying on the Cross, God had "[made] himself the hungry one — the naked one — the homeless one." Jesus' hunger, she said, is what "you and I must find" and alleviate. She condemned abortion and bemoaned youthful drug addiction in the West. Finally, she suggested that the upcoming Christmas holiday should remind the world "that radiating joy is real" because Christ is everywhere — "Christ in our hearts, Christ in the poor we meet, Christ in the smile we give and in the smile that we receive."

Yet less than three months earlier, in a letter to a spiritual confidant, the Rev. Michael van der Peet, that is only now being made public, she wrote with weary familiarity of a different Christ, an absent one. "Jesus has a very special love for you," she assured Van der Peet. "[But] as for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great, that I look and do not see, — Listen and do not hear — the tongue moves [in prayer] but does not speak ... I want you to pray for me — that I let Him have [a] free hand."

The two statements, 11 weeks apart, are extravagantly dissonant. The first is typical of the woman the world thought it knew. The second sounds as though it had wandered in from some 1950s existentialist drama. Together they suggest a startling portrait in self-contradiction — that one of the great human icons of the past 100 years, whose remarkable deeds seemed inextricably connected to her closeness to God and who was routinely observed in silent and seemingly peaceful prayer by her associates as well as the television camera, was living out a very different spiritual reality privately, an arid landscape from which the deity had disappeared.

And in fact, that appears to be the case. A new, innocuously titled book, Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light (Doubleday), consisting primarily of correspondence between Teresa and her confessors and superiors over a period of 66 years, provides the spiritual counterpoint to a life known mostly through its works. The letters, many of them preserved against her wishes (she had requested that they be destroyed but was overruled by her church), reveal that for the last nearly half-century of her life she felt no presence of God whatsoever — or, as the book's compiler and editor, the Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk, writes, "neither in her heart or in the eucharist......................

"Lord, my God, who am I that You should forsake me? The Child of your Love — and now become as the most hated one — the one — You have thrown away as unwanted — unloved. I call, I cling, I want — and there is no One to answer — no One on Whom I can cling — no, No One. — Alone ... Where is my Faith — even deep down right in there is nothing, but emptiness & darkness — My God — how painful is this unknown pain — I have no Faith — I dare not utter the words & thoughts that crowd in my heart — & make me suffer untold agony.

So many unanswered questions live within me afraid to uncover them — because of the blasphemy — If there be God — please forgive me — When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven — there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives & hurt my very soul. — I am told God loves me — and yet the reality of darkness & coldness & emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul. Did I make a mistake in surrendering blindly to the Call of the Sacred Heart?
— addressed to Jesus, at the suggestion of a confessor, undated

"

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1655415-1,00.html

(eidted to correct the link)
Back to top Go down
LittleFire

LittleFire

Female
Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyTue Aug 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Hi Spring;

As I sit here reading this, I can't help but wonder that she has a reason for that conflict within her. She was faced daily with the suffering, the poor, the desolate and questions, why can't you do something here God? Why are you letting this happen? I grew up in a Roman Catholic home and that is the questions I dared ask. Boy was I reprimanded! Yet, she continued to minister and love them all even when she questioned the unanswered prayers, the emptiness she felt. She never stopped, she persevered. What I seen in her eyes was "Why?"

Blessings,
LittleFire
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/joanne_jjl
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyTue Aug 28, 2007 2:18 pm

LittleFire I guess that is why I say that this piece is enlightening as well as disturbing. I understand her feeling desperation by the conditions that she ministered in. However, I always assumed that she had a special closeness with God that most of us have never realized. I can now see where she was very human - just like the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
Liam

Liam

Male
Number of posts : 423
Humor : Decent

PostSubject: Re: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyTue Aug 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Yes, it is easy to question God when you see all of this suffering. I feel sorry for her.
Back to top Go down
Tautog

Tautog

Number of posts : 46
Humor : Arrived
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyWed Aug 29, 2007 6:37 am

I'd sometime heard it said that her good works, in the style in which they were done, did some good but were not on the right path. Her first mission was to help the dying to die among love; now how can you take only the end-product of a society and do as if the others were not your affair? You can't be of much help unless you see what is going on before you, in front of you, and near to you. It is that ignorance and related delusions and follies which will cost the catholics dearly as time continues.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyWed Aug 29, 2007 6:50 am

Spring, thank you for bringing this article here. It was very thought-provoking. I adore Mother Teresa, she was and still is a hero, maybe even more so now. I marvel at what she was able to accomplish ~ and how much more amazing it is in light of the startling revelation that she couldn't not feel the presence of God.

Hopefully later I will have some more time to share some thoughts on it.
Back to top Go down
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyThu Aug 30, 2007 2:20 pm

A lexigram of Mother Teresa's name:

MOTHER TERESA
... from the letters ...
AEEHMORST
..... revealing .....

OM
RA ~ MA
SHE ROSE AS A STAR
AS MOTHER TO THE OTHERS
SHE ROSE AS
MOTHER TERESA
A SEER
SHE HEARS THE EAR
SHE HEARS THE HEART
SHE HEARS THE EARTH
SHE HEARS EROS
SHE HEARS RA
SHE SHARE THE EROS
SHE TAMES THE HATES
SHE REST THE HATES
EROS ROSE
TREES SEE HER
TREES HEAR HER
EARTH HEARS HER
HOME TO MOTHER TERESA
SHE SHARE THE STAR ARTS
AS SHE ROAMS THE EARTH
TO SET THE EROS

REST TO MOTHER TERESA
AS SHE ROSE TO HER STAR HOME
OM
Back to top Go down
LittleFire

LittleFire

Female
Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith EmptyThu Aug 30, 2007 2:24 pm

Spring, that is beautiful! She rose as a star.... Wow, very poignant indeed. I am still in awe with what she has done, and prayed for her strength asking God to continue to bless her in her love for others.

Blessings,
LittleFire
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/joanne_jjl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith   Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1