Twohawk's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visions, Predictions, Psychic Impressions, Dreams, Channelings, Astrology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Remember the Alamo
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:16 pm by masterindisguise

» Joplin and Moore
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:45 am by masterindisguise

» Brenda's Blog - physical healing
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:21 am by masterindisguise

» First Signs of Physical Acscension Are Here
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:55 am by masterindisguise

» Growing Our Miraculous Manifestations
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:41 am by masterindisguise

» Power Path May 2013
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:49 pm by masterindisguise

» Eclipses of 2013 help access spaces between dimensions
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm by masterindisguise

» Full moon vision gold mining
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am by masterindisguise

» Scorpio full moon notes 4/25/13
Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am by masterindisguise

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 273 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 am

Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female
Number of posts : 1440
Registration date : 2007-08-05

Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall Empty
PostSubject: Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall   Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Learn from the fall of Rome, US warned
By Jeremy Grant in Washington

Published: August 14 2007 00:06

The US government is on a ‘burning platform’ of unsustainable policies and practices with fiscal deficits, chronic healthcare underfunding, immigration and overseas military commitments threatening a crisis if action is not taken soon, the country’s top government inspector has warned.

David Walker, comptroller general of the US, issued the unusually downbeat assessment of his country’s future in a report that lays out what he called “chilling long-term simulations”.

These include “dramatic” tax rises, slashed government services and the large-scale dumping by foreign governments of holdings of US debt.

Drawing parallels with the end of the Roman empire, Mr Walker warned there were “striking similarities” between America’s current situation and the factors that brought down Rome, including “declining moral values and political civility at home, an over-confident and over-extended military in foreign lands and fiscal irresponsibility by the central government”.

“Sound familiar?” Mr Walker said. “In my view, it’s time to learn from history and take steps to ensure the American Republic is the first to stand the test of time.”

Mr Walker’s views carry weight because he is a non-partisan figure in charge of the Government Accountability Office, often described as the investigative arm of the US Congress.

While most of its studies are commissioned by legislators, about 10 per cent – such as the one containing his latest warnings – are initiated by the comptroller general himself.

In an interview with the Financial Times, Mr Walker said he had mentioned some of the issues before but now wanted to “turn up the volume”. Some of them were too sensitive for others in government to “have their name associated with”.

“I’m trying to sound an alarm and issue a wake-up call,” he said. “As comptroller general I’ve got an ability to look longer-range and take on issues that others may be hesitant, and in many cases may not be in a position, to take on.

“One of the concerns is obviously we are a great country but we face major sustainability challenges that we are not taking seriously enough,” said Mr Walker, who was appointed during the Clinton administration to the post, which carries a 15-year term.

The fiscal imbalance meant the US was “on a path toward an explosion of debt”.

“With the looming retirement of baby boomers, spiralling healthcare costs, plummeting savings rates and increasing reliance on foreign lenders, we face unprecedented fiscal risks,” said Mr Walker, a former senior executive at PwC auditing firm.

Current US policy on education, energy, the environment, immigration and Iraq also was on an “unsustainable path”.

“Our very prosperity is placing greater demands on our physical infrastructure. Billions of dollars will be needed to modernise everything from highways and airports to water and sewage systems. The recent bridge collapse in Minneapolis was a sobering wake-up call.”

Mr Walker said he would offer to brief the would-be presidential candidates next spring.

“They need to make fiscal responsibility and inter-generational equity one of their top priorities. If they do, I think we have a chance to turn this around but if they don’t, I think the risk of a serious crisis rises considerably”.
Back to top Go down
Cornelia

Cornelia

Number of posts : 57

PostSubject: Re: Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall   Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 9:15 am

This was very interesting. There is also another looming crisis - the quality of education. So much so, that Bill Gate has declared it a "national emergency". Apparantly, kids are being taught a model of education utilized in the 50s - that don't apply to the 21st century. Reading and math scores are one of the lowest in the world.

Somehow there appears to be a correlation with the increasing decline as stated in the article. These are just my observations:

- technology
- global economy

The more technology we use, the more complicated our society has become. The more stupid we've become, and the more morally declined we've become (more access to instant gratification, multi-media entertainment, and such)

The more economically global we've become, the more reliant we've become on other nations, the more impact we have on the earth's environment, and the more poor we are getting - social divide, so to speak (rich getting richer, poor getting poorer).

This is just my opinion and observation. I'm no expert in this area, I realize. I just think we've become "too complicated." What ever happened to living more simple in a smaller society and saying hi to Mrs. Smith down the street?
Back to top Go down
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female
Number of posts : 1440

PostSubject: Re: Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall   Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Cornelia how right you are. It seems there is very little civility left, especially in the cities. This is a crisis of major proportions. Not only economically, but as you say - educationally and technologically, including the fact that we are lagging behind in almost every area now. The children today cannot do a math problem without a calculator or computer to say the least. Not saying I can, but we were made to learn in school.

We need to take a long hard look at ourselves. Again as you say, the instant gratification has gone too far. We are becoming fat, lazy AND stupid. I count myself in that category also. If I can find a way to cut a corner I will. It is becoming ingrained in our psyche and we expect everything NOW, and easy and totally accessible. I panic when the computer is down. I do all my banking online and have for years. GOD forbid I would actually have to go to the bank. There is service in my area where you can grocery shop online and they will deliver, and I really contemplated that. I had to say to myself "How lazy can you get?" Unbelievable. So I can see where the kids are getting it from. I never ever see kids playing in the yards anymore. You rarely see a swing set in someone's yard, or even see the kids on bicycles anymore.

Moral decay is another matter. The kids today know more than I ever did at their age, or probably more than I even know now. Sex is taken for granted and there is no more intimacy left when it comes to the kids.

I don't know what the answer is. I am very disillusioned with the turn society has taken.
Back to top Go down
Cornelia

Cornelia

Number of posts : 57

PostSubject: Re: Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall   Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 3:00 pm

This is so refreshing. Its so nice to discuss these matters so frankly.

Spring, don't be hard on yourself. The good news is that at least we see it and at least we can recognize it. Isn't it interesting how technology is supposed to "save us time"? But do we ever really have any time? We don't. We are running around racing here and there (oh God, especially in the northeast - I can't tell you how buzzed we are). Maybe we have become this way because we have no time? The world is moving faster and faster - and out of control. We are losing control. And so is the earth. The earth is spinning out of control.

Meanwhile our morality has declined. What a mess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall   Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall Empty

Back to top Go down

Comptroller General Warns US in Serious Crisis / Downfall
Page 1 of 1