Twohawk's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visions, Predictions, Psychic Impressions, Dreams, Channelings, Astrology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Remember the Alamo
chemicals in doga and cats EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:16 pm by masterindisguise

» Joplin and Moore
chemicals in doga and cats EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:45 am by masterindisguise

» Brenda's Blog - physical healing
chemicals in doga and cats EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:21 am by masterindisguise

» First Signs of Physical Acscension Are Here
chemicals in doga and cats EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:55 am by masterindisguise

» Growing Our Miraculous Manifestations
chemicals in doga and cats EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:41 am by masterindisguise

» Power Path May 2013
chemicals in doga and cats EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:49 pm by masterindisguise

» Eclipses of 2013 help access spaces between dimensions
chemicals in doga and cats EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm by masterindisguise

» Full moon vision gold mining
chemicals in doga and cats EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am by masterindisguise

» Scorpio full moon notes 4/25/13
chemicals in doga and cats EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am by masterindisguise

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 273 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 am

chemicals in doga and cats

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
masterindisguise
masterindisguise

Female
Number of posts : 1142
Humor : twisted
Registration date : 2007-08-09

chemicals in doga and cats Empty
PostSubject: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 9:46 am

High Chemical Levels Found in Dogs, Cats
By Elizabeth Weise,
USA Today
Posted: 2008-04-17 08:55:58
(April 17) - An environmental group has tested dogs and cats for chemical exposure and found some levels much higher than in humans.

The analysis, being released today by the Washington, D.C.-based Environmental Working Group today, found levels of brominated flame retardants (used in furniture, fabrics and electronics) in cats 23 times higher than in humans, and mercury levels (likely from fish in pet foods) five times higher. In dogs, levels of perfluorinated chemicals (from stain- and grease-proof coatings) were 2.4 times higher than in people. Overall, 35 chemicals in dogs and 46 in cats were found.

The research used blood and urine samples from 35 dogs and 37 cats collected at Hanover Animal Hospital in Mechanicsville, Va., in December and January. Results represent average levels. Samples had to be pooled because "lab methods require a larger sample than any single animal could provide," says EWG's Jane Houlihan.

The testing "raises tantalizing questions," says Larry Glickman, a professor of environmental health at Purdue University's School of Veterinary Medicine in West Lafayette, Ind. "These things are just too controversial to ignore."

Glickman says that "we'll need to figure out how widespread this contamination is, where's it coming from and whether it's associated with adverse health events."

Feed
USA Today

* Pope shifts focus to public with stadium Mass
* Bomb kills at least 50 at Iraqi funeral
* Stocks tread water, unsure after latest profit...
* Bruce Springsteen endorses Obama for president
* Ravens' Steve McNair to announce retirement

More Stories
"Because cats are finicky, owners find a food they like and stick to it," which could explain the high levels of mercury in cats, says Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition at New York University who's researching a book on pet food. The same could apply to dogs, especially because they're often fed organ meat. "If they're eating only one thing, and there are toxins in it, then it would be concentrated."

Pets' high levels of exposure come about because they spend their days in direct contact with floors and the ground, where dust, dirt, chemicals and pesticides concentrate. They also chew on toys, "so they have exposures to plastics," Houlihan says.

The findings give cause for concern, Houlihan says, because "there's a 20-year body of scientific literature showing that pets can be sentinels for human problems."
Back to top Go down
Wild Dove
Wild Dove

Male
Number of posts : 1312
Humor : monkey business
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 11:54 am

I would add, even knowing this, and knowing its everywhere (toxic chems--mostly petroleum-based products) here are some things you can do:

1. Think of your dog (or cat) as wild. What would they eat if THEY made all their choices out of necessity? Littlebear eats salmon, raw egg, cheese, (a little liverworst) and chicken, for treats he eats salmon, or beef jerky. That's it! He did that in the wilderness his first year. That's all we had to eat. I tried ever since day one to feed him store bought stuff, but he turned it all down (and still does). I think his success is because I discovered his needs from the very start (and I think he is more wolf/wild than I realized when I first acquired him---I didn't have to teach him how to catch rabbit, or corral a boar or a deer. He's a natural-born meat-eater with a little fiber (skin/fur/bone/cartilege).

2. Buy ALL your clothes, furniture, carpets, blankets, etc., things with chemical coatings (now very old and practically non-existent) from thrift stores, so old they no longer have any toxic emission to penetrate their (and our) skin.

3. Remember you are wise. Chemically treated products are usually purchased and used out of a dependancy about comfort, easier to put up with, easier to clean/stay "fresh-looking", etc. than a willingness to remove them or start back from scratch. (I don't mean make your own clothes, furniture/"things", but keep them and repair them as needed instead of staying on the comfort ride indefinately.)

Remember: Most of your cells are new every seven years. Changing habits (your newer cells are still able to reject toxins, 'cause they're still fresh young snappers, strong enough to withstand the onslaught AND THE ACCUMULATION. THERE'S THE KEY! THE ACCUMULATION, THE BUILDING UP OF TOXIC WASTES/DISEASE-CAUSING MATERIAL.

Even small amounts accumulate over the years. Do seasonal fasts, cleansings, three/four times a year. (I use cabbage, apple carrot and beet, first boiled with a little butter/olive oil, then get to juice only (after a week of cutting back, drink this juice four or five days, then add the fiber, and back to regular diet. I find each time I do that my body automatically knows more, knows what foods were in its regular diet it doesn't like anymore like it used to.

Wa do, Aho! (OK, I still eat a burger and fries once or twice a year....)
Back to top Go down
Wild Dove
Wild Dove

Male
Number of posts : 1312
Humor : monkey business
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 am

p.s. I like the typo error doga and cats. Sounds pretty Italian to me! :coffee4:
Back to top Go down
jhodi

jhodi

Female
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 4:45 pm

If you must feed your dog a commercial food, go to the following link to find the grain free ones and just all of the better ones. They rate them 6 star and below...I finaly found a five start premium food for my dogs that I think they can live with.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
Back to top Go down
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female
Number of posts : 1440
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:22 am

I feed Cayenne "Flint River Ranch." It has no fillers, preservatives, artificial anything, no corn or soy products - because dogs do not digest corn. All natural human grade ingredients. All products used in Flint River Ranch are purchased in the U.S.. They do not use wheat gluten.

Good Grief I sound like an ad for Flint River Ranch! LOL But Cayenne loves it. I tasted it and it is actually pretty good.

I have to order it off the internet because there are no stores near me that carry it. It costs slightly more than the store bought stuff, but it is worth it to keep that crap out of her system.

As for my kitties, I go to Sam's and buy Star Kist Tuna by the case. That is all they eat along with a little dry.
Back to top Go down
jhodi

jhodi

Female

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:37 am

That sounds great. Lucky dogs and kitties!
Back to top Go down
jhodi

jhodi

Female

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:39 am

Back to top Go down
Spring Miracles
Admin
Spring Miracles

Female
Number of posts : 1440
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:50 am

Jhodi I went and read the review from your link, and I am not happy with the fish product in the Flint River Ranch and the carcinogenic agent. I looked through the reviews and I like what they wrote about ARTEMIS. I am going to get a small bag of that and see if she will eat it.

Looks like there are a few dog foods without any questionable ingredients. Artemis claims to be completely holistic and chemical and additive free.

Thanks for that site. It is wonderful.
Back to top Go down
jhodi

jhodi

Female

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 am

well....I just got a brand new puppy and my maternal instincts went wild...I literaly spent HOURS on that site! I became a bit obsessed.

I finally settled on Innova due to the special needs of a large breed growing puppy (less protein and calcium so he doesn't grow too fast).

The breeder had him on CRAP and so I changed him out gradually and his digestive symptoms cleared up immediately.

The Artemis looks awesome!

As you know, feeding a high quality food is no more expensive than feeding the cheaper ones because they need to eat so much less of it due to no fillers and crap. PLUS, less money spent on vet bills because the better foods do not promote all the health problems the cheap foods do.

hahahhaha---now I sound like a commercial! geek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: chemicals in doga and cats   chemicals in doga and cats Empty

Back to top Go down

chemicals in doga and cats
Page 1 of 1