Visions, Predictions, Psychic Impressions, Dreams, Channelings, Astrology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Remember the Alamo
Mon May 27, 2013 12:16 pm by masterindisguise

» Joplin and Moore
Wed May 22, 2013 8:45 am by masterindisguise

» Brenda's Blog - physical healing
Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 am by masterindisguise

» First Signs of Physical Acscension Are Here
Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 am by masterindisguise

» Growing Our Miraculous Manifestations
Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 am by masterindisguise

» Power Path May 2013
Sun May 05, 2013 2:49 pm by masterindisguise

» Eclipses of 2013 help access spaces between dimensions
Sun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm by masterindisguise

» Full moon vision gold mining
Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am by masterindisguise

» Scorpio full moon notes 4/25/13
Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am by masterindisguise

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 27 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Share | 

Hurricane Dean

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Hurricane Dean   Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Dean's northern eyewall punishing Jamaica

5:10 p.m. ET 8/19/07
Tim Ballisty, Meteorologist,The Weather Channel

The center of powerful Hurricane Dean is now passing just south of Kingston, Jamaica with 145 mph winds; a healthy category 4 on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

As the center of Hurricane Dean heads west just south of the Jamaica, hurricane-force winds are now in full gear especially along the southern half of island. The top portion of Dean's eyewall will continue to unleash a harsh blow to the island nation this afternoon and into the late night hours.

There have been reports via radio of uprooted trees, rooftops torn away, impassable roads, and a mudslide.

Moreover, tremendous waves are battering the southern and eastern shore as well and torrential rains have begun.

Rainfall amounts will be in the 5 to 10 inch range with some areas receiving as much as 20 inches. The heavy rains will lead to life-threatening mudslides.

Dean could be the strongest hurricane to strike Jamaica since 1950: stronger than Hurricane Gilbert in 1988 which was a category three when it crossed the island from end to end.

After Jamaica, Dean's forecast track takes the powerful hurricane south of the island of Grand Cayman on Monday. Although not a direct hit, the Cayman Islands will deal with battering waves, high surge, and rainfall amounts on the order of 4 to 8 inches with some totals nearing a foot of rain.

By Monday night and Tuesday, the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico will feel impacts from Hurricane Dean. Resort areas of Cancun and Cozumel should be prepared for this powerful hurricane.

Numerous hurricane and tropical storm watches and warnings are in place for the various Caribbean islands including a hurricane warning for Jamaica and the Cayman Islands.

Remember that watches mean that conditions are possible within 36 hours; warnings mean that conditions are expected within 24 hours.

Meanwhile, the book has not been closed on Tropical Depression Erin. After drenching Texas from the Gulf Coast to the Texas Hill Country to the Panhandle during the latter half of last week, a re-energized Erin unleashed even more tropical downpours over Oklahoma.

During a 6 to 12 hour period from late Saturday night through Sunday morning, tremendous rainfall amounts of 5 to 10 inches fell over the west-central part of the state. The extreme rainfall has left parts of west-central Oklahoma under water and many people in life-threatening situations. Numerous high water rescues (from roof tops and stranded cars) have been in progress during the morning and afternoon hours.

The eye of TD Erin then drifted to the east directly over Oklahoma City during the mid-morning hours producing flooding rains and winds gusts between 50 and 60 mph across the capital city. The remnants of Erin have weakened since this morning as they drift towards the northeastern part of the state
Back to top Go down
Liam

Male
Number of posts : 423
Humor : Decent
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Dean   Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:06 pm

I thought Eyewall said Eyeball...

And there's no sun

Jokes aside, I pray for those people in Jamaica
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Dean   Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:24 pm

Me too, Liam, me too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Dean   Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:10 am

Dean makes landfall on Mexico's coast
Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:06AM EDT

PLAYA DEL CARMEN, Mexico (Reuters) - Hurricane Dean, a monster Category 5 storm, made landfall on Mexico's Caribbean coast on Tuesday, with roaring winds and heavy rain that battered beach resorts where thousands of tourists huddled in shelters.

Seas churned as the eye of the storm, which has already killed 11 people on its rampage through the Caribbean, smashed into the shore near the cruise ship port of Costa Maya, not far from the border with Belize.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said it was the first Category 5 storm to make landfall in the Atlantic Basin since Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Dean was still packing sustained winds of 165 miles per hour (268 kph), with gust of up to 200 mph when it came ashore, but was expected to weaken as it passed over the Yucatan Peninsula.

Tourists squeezed into a hotel serving as a shelter for 400 people in the resort of Playa del Carmen, where winds violently shook palm trees. As many as 12 people were sharing some rooms.

"We could be two or three days without water or electricity," said Italian vacationer Emanuela Beriola, 41, who stockpiled tinned meat, energy drinks and cans of tuna fish.

Dean was due to cross the Yucatan and come out in the Gulf of Mexico before hitting land again in the Mexican state of Veracruz.

Category 5 hurricanes -- the strongest possible -- are rare but there were four in 2005, including Katrina, which devastated New Orleans. The higher number of powerful storms in recent years has reinforced research that suggests global warming may increase the strength of tropical cyclones.

"I'm not scared. I telephoned my daughter and my mother and they are more worried than me," said German tourist Christian Muller, an engineer.

Troops and police patrolled the area to enforce a curfew declared by the state government.

Store windows were boarded up along the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, a strip of beach resorts with bright white sands that is yet to fully recover from the devastation of Hurricane Wilma in 2005.

The strongest Atlantic storm recorded, Wilma wrecked Cancun and other beach resorts. It washed away whole beaches, killed seven people and caused $2.6 billion in damages.

BELIZE THREATENED

Mexico's state oil company was closed and evacuated all of its 407 oil and gas wells in the Campeche Sound, meaning lost production of 2.65 million barrels of crude per day.

Heavy rain drenched Belize, a former British colony that is home to some 250,000 people and a famous barrier reef.

"Absolutely this is one of the most dangerous and biggest hurricanes we have had so far," said Robert Leslie, cabinet secretary of the Belizean government.

Dean swiped Jamaica at the weekend with roaring winds and pelting rain. Roads were blocked by toppled trees and power poles and police said two people were killed.

That took the death toll from Dean to eleven. Haiti was worst hit with four people dead there.

Poor local residents with badly built homes are often the worst hit by hurricanes in Mexico.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon planned to cut short a visit to Canada, where he met President George W. Bush and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, to return home to oversee the emergency effort.

(Additional reporting by Mica Rosenberg in Belize City and Ed Stoddard in Cozumel)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Dean   Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:34 pm

Mexico shall receive their karma. LOL study :bball: :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Dean   

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Dean
Page 1 of 1