Twohawk's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visions, Predictions, Psychic Impressions, Dreams, Channelings, Astrology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Remember the Alamo
floods EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:16 pm by masterindisguise

» Joplin and Moore
floods EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:45 am by masterindisguise

» Brenda's Blog - physical healing
floods EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:21 am by masterindisguise

» First Signs of Physical Acscension Are Here
floods EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:55 am by masterindisguise

» Growing Our Miraculous Manifestations
floods EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:41 am by masterindisguise

» Power Path May 2013
floods EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:49 pm by masterindisguise

» Eclipses of 2013 help access spaces between dimensions
floods EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm by masterindisguise

» Full moon vision gold mining
floods EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am by masterindisguise

» Scorpio full moon notes 4/25/13
floods EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am by masterindisguise

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 273 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 am

floods

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
masterindisguise
masterindisguise

Female
Number of posts : 1142
Humor : twisted
Registration date : 2007-08-09

floods Empty
PostSubject: floods   floods EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 10:04 am

From: http://www.moneyweek.com/file/49669/why-floods-could-bring-america-to-its-knees.html
Why floods could bring America to its knees

A catastrophe for Iowa farmers will not be just a catastrophe for Midwestern Americans. In the Iowa floods, we'll see more evidence of how the problems of weird weather (climate change) combine and ramify the problems associated with Peak Oil. In this particular case they lead to an inflection point sometime around the 2008 harvest season, which will also be our time of political harvest.

These are not your daddy's or granddaddy's floods. These are 500-year floods, events not seen before non-Indian people started living out on that stretch of the North American prairie. The vast majority of homeowners in Eastern Iowa did not have flood insurance because the likelihood of being affected above the 500-year-line was so miniscule - their insurance agents actually advised them against getting it.

The personal ruin out there will be comprehensive and profound, a wet version of the 1930s Dust Bowl, with families facing total loss and perhaps migrating elsewhere in the nation because they have no home to go back to.
Iowa in 2008 will be an even slower-motion disaster than Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Beyond the troubles of 25,000 people who have lost all their material possessions is a world whose grain reserves stand at record lows. The crop losses in Iowa will aggravate what is already a pretty dire situation. So far, the US public has experienced the world grain situation mainly in higher supermarket prices.

Cheap corn is behind the magic of the American processed food industry - all those pizza pockets and juicy-juice boxes that frantic Americans resort to because they have no time between two jobs and family-chauffeur duties to actually cook (note: reheating is not cooking).

Behind that magic is an agribusiness model of farming cranked up on the steroids of cheap oil and cheap natural-gas-based fertiliser. Both of these 'inputs' have recently entered the realm of the non-cheap. Oil-and-gas-based farming had already reached a crisis stage before the flood of Iowa. Diesel fuel is a dollar-a-gallon higher than gasoline. Natural gas prices have doubled over the past year, sending fertiliser prices way up. American farmers are poorly positioned to reform their practices. All that cheap fossil fuel masks a tremendous decay of skill in husbandry. The farming of the decades ahead will be a lot more complicated than just buying X amount of 'inputs' (on credit) to be dumped on a sterile soil growth medium and spread around with giant diesel-powered machines.

Like a lot of other activities in American life these days, agribusiness is unreformable along its current lines. It will take a convulsion to change it, and in that convulsion it will be dragged kicking-and-screaming into a new reality. As that occurs, the US public will have to contend with more than just higher taco chip prices. We're heading into the Vale of Malthus - Thomas Robert Malthus, the British economist-philosopher who introduced the notion that eventually world population would overtake world food production capacity. Malthus has been scorned and ridiculed in recent decades, as fossil fuel-cranked farming allowed the global population to go vertical. Techno-triumphalist observers who should have known better attributed this to the "green revolution" of bio-engineering. Malthus is back now, along with his outriders: famine, pestilence, and war.

We're headed, it seems, toward a fall 'crunch time', and that crunching sound will not be of cheese doodles and taco chips consumed on the sofas of America. I think we're heading into a season of hoarding. As the presidential campaign moves into its final round, Americans may be hard up for both food and gasoline. On the oil scene, the next event on the horizon is not just higher prices but shortages. Chances are they will occur first in the Southeast states because oil exports from Mexico and Venezuela feeding the Gulf of Mexico refineries are down more than 30% +over 2007.

Perhaps more ominous is the discontent on the trucking scene. Truckers are going broke in droves, unable to carry on their business while getting paid $2,000 for loads that cost them $3,000 to deliver. In Europe last week, enraged truckers paralysed the food distribution networks of Spain and Portugal. The passivity of US truckers so far has been a striking feature of the general zombification of American life. They might continue to just crawl off one-by-one and die. But it's also possible that, at some point, they'll mount a Night of the Living Dead offensive and take their vengeance out on 'the system' that has brought them to ruin. America has only about a three-day supply of food in any of its supermarkets.

The yet-more-ominous thing here is that shortages of food and oil are two fiascos that are pretty clearly predictable for the second half of the year. That's bad enough without figuring in the 'unknowns' that could kick up American hardship a few more notches. The hurricane season just got underway - obscured for the moment by the bigger weather story in Iowa. The fate of the banks is a train wreck still waiting to happen. As it occurs - also heading into the high political and hurricane seasons - we could find ourselves not only a nation wet, hungry, and out-of-gas, but also completely broke. I'm just sorry that Tim Russert will not be here to talk us through it all.
Back to top Go down
Wild Dove
Wild Dove

Male
Number of posts : 1312
Humor : monkey business
Registration date : 2007-12-21

floods Empty
PostSubject: Re: floods   floods EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 10:32 am

Mid, thanks a whole bunch! I am amazed that a reporter from MoneyWeek could be so thoughtful, thought-provoking, and fascinating read. I have marked that website. Seems like they can make techical.financial and social issues together in a way that confirms my own thoughts on the subject.

The connections about the "why this is happening to us" isn't whistle-blowing, its taking responsibility both for not really listening to the prohets, whistle-blowers, etc., but our own unwillingness to make these changes before we are forced to (by govt. ---which always seems to come "after the fact", doesn't it?).

Keep on posting! Keep on storing up grains/legumes/seeds we can sprout! (salmon and beef jerky, also!) Wa do!
Back to top Go down
LittleFire

LittleFire

Female
Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2007-08-07

floods Empty
PostSubject: Re: floods   floods EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 10:36 am

Hi MID, this was quite and interesting read, and I want to thankyou for posting this here. I like his style of writing and not only in the financial aspect but a way to say: "Hey, wake up people" it is time to gather now, no more waiting for we are in for rough rides

Love and Light,
LittleFire
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/joanne_jjl
masterindisguise
masterindisguise

Female

floods Empty
PostSubject: Re: floods   floods EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks guys, your welcome and I'm glad you liked it. I sometimes wonder when nobody comments on what I post, I try to post things I think the majority will be interested in.
Back to top Go down

floods Empty
PostSubject: Re: floods   floods EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 6:25 am

MID, I enjoy each and every article you post, I just don't always have time to comment.. Sorry about that....

I saw a funny sign the other day it read:

Oil from OPEC nations = $ 160 a barrel

Wheat sold to OPEC nations = $ 6 a bushel

Solution = Wheat sold to OPEC = $160 a bushel

lol
Back to top Go down
masterindisguise
masterindisguise

Female

floods Empty
PostSubject: Re: floods   floods EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks BTM, I know people can't comment on everything, I know I don't. Sometimes, especially when its slow at the nest it feels like there is no one else there. Where the heck is Spring? Have you heard from her? Have you heard from Liam? He's been gone a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

floods Empty
PostSubject: Re: floods   floods Empty

Back to top Go down

floods
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Twohawk's Nest :: Welcome! :: Preparedness-
Jump to: